was I nood

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Martha's Vineyard Lazathlon


Official race report - I got first in my age group!

The race started as we strolled off of the ferry in Oak Bluffs. The first stage was a 3.5 mile walk along some windy, tree-lined coastal roads, with an optional detour to a 17th century lighthouse. The T1 area was surprisingly well organized, with shiny new bikes lining the street. I hopped onto my bike and blitzed out of the parking lot as fast as humanly possible on a rental hybrid. Which isn't all that fast. I learned that a rental hybrid bike is better than no bike, but only barely. After a 9 mile ride along the beach and some lagoons I arrived the lunch stop, which was nicely situated in a grassy and shady area by the coast. After lunch, the third leg commenced, which was a mandated power nap under an oak tree.

Zzzzzz. Then it was back to biking, for another 4 mile stint to the south coast of the island - or an optional detour to Chappaquiddick to dig up some dirt on Teddy Kennedy. Because the Chappy trip involved getting on another boat, I decided to go straight to the T2 area on the beach. I made a smooth transition to my swim gear and splashed up and down the coast for a couple of hundred yards, smoothly rounding the big inflatable octopus that was the turning point, and then splashed on back. The next leg involved sitting on the sand, soaking up some sun, and checking in with the spouse on the cell phone. Then it was another transition back to the bicycle, for a fast and rolling 18 mile stretch looping back around to the finish line at Vineyard Haven, with a brief stopover at an organic farm for some mango-flavored water and a juicy cold nectarine. We were all a bit sorry to get back on the boat to go home for the day.

It was a perfect day - not too hot or humid, and many light breezes to cool you down. Finally, I have to give big kudos to the race organizers for a great day. The course was well-planned and beautiful, and the food and beverages at the rest stops were outstanding. For lunch I had a huge Italian submarine sandwich packed with many layers of meats and cheeses, some tasty ginger ale, and an enormous mint brownie chipwich ice cream sandwich. The dessert alone had 550 calories and 57% of the RDA of saturated fat to get you feeling extra peppy for your return to the bike course. Nothing like a light snack to get you all zippy and ready to go. No more powerbars for me, from now on - I'll stick with pastrami.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home